Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas formed by the incomplete combustion of fuels. When people are exposed to dangerously high levels of the carbon monoxide gas, it can lead to an illness or worse death due to carbon monoxide poisoning.
Your gas furnace may produce carbon monoxide, though it is mostly contained within the walls of its heat exchanger. In a unit that’s functioning correctly, the gas is directed through your furnace’s flue pipe and safely vented out of your home.
If the heat exchanger cracks, carbon monoxide may leak to the living area, this could mean that dangerous concentrations of the gas can build up indoors and we have no way of detecting the problem yourself until it’s too late.
How do I prevent the carbon monoxide leaks within my home?
The easy tip is installing carbon monoxide detectors inside your home. As the gas is known to be odorless, colorless, once installed, CO detectors will warn you of high levels of carbon monoxide before it’s too late.
These detectors are inexpensive ($30-40) and very easy to install. We recommend installing one on each floor of your home. If you don’t have one yet, you can purchase them online or from any home improvement store.
Another way to avoid the dangers of poisoning is getting annual maintenance done on your furnace. Our certified technician will perform a number of tests , including a system and heat exchanger inspection which potential problems are identified and fixed early on.
Feel free to reach out if you would like to know more about the Carbon Monoxide Detectors or set up the appointment online.
Keep safe and stay well,
John @ SantaAir